Yugoslav Association for Video Art VIDEOMEDEJA (registered February 2nd 1998) and the Association of Independent projects – Apostrophe, in 1996 triggered International summit of female video – VIDEOMEDEJA, where only women authors could participate in the competition program. The program editor from that time, Balint Sombati, in 1999 introduces the male authors in the program of VIDEOMEDEJA. From 1998 to 2000, Director of the Festival and President of the Association was Vera Kopicl that voluntarily withdrew from her positions after 2000, and suggests Ivana Sremčević for President of the Association. One year later, in 2001, for the Festival Director and President of the Yugoslav Association for Video Art VIDEOMEDEJA was elected Ivana Sremčević. That same year, the concept of the Festival VIDEOMEDEJA was changed and male authors were aloud to compete for the competition part of the festival program. Since then, the festival has been open to all, regardless of gender difference that previously existed. The only limitations were, and still are, that works of art must be from the last two years in relation to the year of the entry call for VIDEOMEDEJA and selection committee will not take into consideration the works that contain abusive or offensive messages or content.
On our website, under the link ARCHIVE, you can find a list of names of contributors and expert team that was responsible for the organization and production of each edition of the Festival. Here you can view complete festival program (only for the years in which the program catalogs were digitalized), and also a list of all the artists who participated, both in competition program and in a special program.
Under the link ABOUT US, under TEAM, you can see the current active members of the Association VIDEOMEDEJA.
International Video Festival VIDEOMEDEJA is basic activity of the Video Art Association VIDEOMEDEJA. This is an annual non-profit event lasting for a few days.
Festival consists of thecompetitive program and various accompanying programs which, depending on the current productions and conception, happens on the different locations in Novi Sad and elsewhere.
The program is divided into several basic segments which are depending on the current concept developed in other, smaller parts. Festival programs focuses on art projects using new media for artistic expression and communication feature a wide variety of genres and forms that combine images and sound, advanced communication, objects, in a symbiotic or avant-garde style:
- SCREENING of video art, short films, digital animations
- EXIBITION of current media projects: media installations, interventions in the exhibition area, advanced technologies in artistic practice, interactive art in all forms and formats: robotic objects, virtual reality, net and social-media projects, audiovisual performances
- PRESENTATION and PROGRAM by invitation
- Selection of “Made in Serbia”
- Lunartis, a selection of the best graduate student films from the world’s prestigious film academies
Accompanying programs are realized in forms of projections, installations, performances and TV shows broadcasted on both local and national TV stations and internet stream.
All works within festival categories produced in last 2 years could be nominated for the competitive selection, which is curated by Selection Committee. All the applicants have to submit the entry form.
The Videomedeja Award present visionary, innovative and experimental works across a wide variety of form, process and practice that include, question and improve a creative and critical understanding of technology and the positive development of contemporary digital cultures.
International Jury selects the best works for the following awards:
Sphinx Award is for the best VIDEO, FILM or ANIMATION.
It recognizes excellence in independent work in the arts and sciences as well as in high-end commercial productions in the film, advertising and entertainment industries. In this category, artistic originality counts just as much as masterful technical achievement.
Artistic projects created to encoruage an open civil society.
Bogdanka Poznanović Award is for the best MEDIA PROJECT.
Import value is artistic quality in the development and design of the interaction as well as a harmonious dialog between the content level and the interaction level that is, the inherent principles of interaction and the interfaces that implement them.
Depending on the design of the program sometimes there’s Audience Award.
Renowned artists, prominent critics, theoreticians, producers, distributors and journalists from all over the world are regular guests of the Festival.
The festival is being distributed and promoted in the form of presentations, promotional catalogs, Internet, different mass media in Serbia and abroad.
- Presenting art forms created using new media for artistic expression and communication, exploring current creative territories and building a critical perspective toward emerging issues in art, technology and society
- Presentation of the latest video works and new media projects and promotion of innovative artistic forms
- Contribution to the development of visual arts production and theory
- International cooperation, encouraging intercultural dialogue
- Education of students, affirmation of young artists
- Raise of the technological literacy of the local surrounding
- Promotion of new cultural strategies in relation to the cultural establishment
- Demystification of new media and new technologies
- Presentation of the new concept of media campaign