About the association
Video Art Association VIDEOMEDEJA is an independent, non-governmental, non-profit and non-partisan association of citizens. It was established in 1996 in Novi Sad, Serbia.
The basic activities, specific knowledge and skills of VIDEOMEDEJA are the organization of the festival and the production of video works; organization of exhibitions, installations, multimedia events, performances, audio-visual performances, concerts, forums, seminars, workshops, study trips, production and post-production of artistic video works, feature and documentary short and feature films, promotional videos, software presentations, publishing (publishing and distribution of works by domestic and international authors, catalogs and publications), development of intercultural dialogue, establishing partnerships and participation in European projects, cooperation with relevant institutions at local and international level, education in modern and new media, technological development of the environment and virtual space , raising the technical and technological level of video and other artistic production in the Republic of Serbia and beyond, participation in numerous independent projections-selections by invitation, lectures and presentations at faculties, festivals, cultural institutions, etc. at home and abroad. Development and publication of the first, largest, unique, free, public, world, online portal Videomedeja VAL (Video Art Library).
Objectives of establishment from the statute:
The goals of the Association are the affirmation of video creation and related art forms and avant-garde art and new media.
In order to achieve its goals, the Association in particular:
1) performs presentation and popularization of video art and other forms of creativity in the field of activities of the Association;
2) nurtures high values of artistic creation in the areas of activity of the Association;
3) raises the technical and technological level of video and other artistic production in the Republic of Serbia;
4) promotes the distribution of works by Serbian authors in our country and the world, as well as world authors in the Republic of Serbia;
5) publishing and production of works by domestic and foreign authors
6) cooperation and association with related organizations in the country and abroad;
7) organizes festivals, paratheatrical events, performances, installations, multimedia spectacles, professional congresses, seminars, conferences, workshops and study trips in the field of the Association;
8) publishing activity (publication and distribution of catalogs, magazines, books and other publications, CDs, films, video and audio cassettes, etc.) in accordance with the law;
9) cooperation with program-related organizations in the country and abroad;
10) other activities that achieve the goals set out in this Statute.
Organization and the most representative activities and projects:
– VIDEOMEDEJA – International New Media Art Festival
– Vremeplov – a festival of animated memories
– weekly gathering of artists and audiences, development of dialogue, discussions and interpretation of selected video works for better understanding
– several workshops, practical part and introduction to the latest technologies and their application in art, development of creative skills through new media
– a digital platform containing about 10.000 biographies and presentations by video artists from around the world
– digitalization of the complete work of the Association as well as online competition, reception, viewing and evaluation of video works
– several lectures on visual and digital art at colleges and high schools
– broadcasting special selections of artistic video works, professional TV shows on television
– Numerous guest appearances in the media, in cultural-educational and informative shows in Serbia and beyond
– Videomedeja has been a partner in European projects and cooperates with the most prestigious institutions around the world.
– numerous independent projections-selections by invitation and presentations at faculties, festivals, cultural institutions, etc. at home and abroad
– as the biggest result of the project of the International New Media Art Festival VIDEOMEDEJA, which we are most proud of, is Videomedeja VAL (Video Art Library). VAL is a UNIQUE, FREE, PUBLIC, INTERNATIONAL, ONLINE VIDEO ART LIBRARY that preserves alternative heritage and makes it finally visible. The years of recognition and respect of our Association are the fundamental basis from which we start and we now have the privilege to be able to do something extraordinary like this, which no one in Europe has and it is probably the largest archive of this type in the region. With the Videomedeja VAL project (Video Art Library), Novi Sad has become the world capital of video art, alternative scenes of moving images and new media.
– The internal Videomedeja VAL media archive of the VIDEOMEDEJA Association has over 15.000 titles. The Association has an archive of video works, short films, media installations and related formats, which is the largest of its kind in Southeast Europe and beyond. This collection contains works from the period from 1989 onwards, as well as individual classics from the earlier period (such as: Bill Viola, Nam Jun Paik, etc.). The authors are a variety of artists, from art students and new media around the world, through artists with a built high reputation all the way to classics of form and genre.
– Vremeplov is a large online archive of well-preserved or beautifully processed old vintage photographs and archival videos about Novi Sad and beyond, with an emphasis on the period 70 and more years ago. https://vremeplov.in.rs
– JupiJE online video archive of short video forms with the content of unusual and astonishing facts and knowledge, currently numbers over 130 JupiJE short videos, and is sorted by thematic areas. https://jupije.com
– Production and post-production of hundreds of short video forms, printed and online collections and catalogs, interactive and digital projects, several art video works and feature-length alternative films.
On our site in the archive you can find all the information about past festivals from 2004 until today: screenings, media installations, Made in Serbia, Lunartis, presentations, jury, Videomedeja team, support, program schedule and press clipping.
Some of the institutions with which we have cooperated so far:
EAI New York | Microcinema Inc. San Francisco | Netherlands Institute for Media Arts – Montevideo (Amsterdam) | WRO Media Art Center (Wroclaw, PL) | New Media Scotland Glasgow | London Electronic Arts | Videotage Hong Kong | Video positive Liverpool / Manchester | Heure Exquise France | ZKM Karlsruhe | Japan Media Arts Festival (Tokyo, JP) | Japan Foundation | Mama Cash | America’s Development Foundation | Open Society Fund | KulturKuntakt Austria | ProHelvetia Belgrade | Goethe Institute Belgrade | Argos Arts Brussels | Av-Arkki Helsinki | LIMA (Amsterdam) | American Cultural Center in Paris | C3 Budapest | London Electronic Arts | K – motion Montreal | Media Wave Hungary | Elektra Zagreb | Archeology Bulgaria | Academies of Arts in Romania and Hungary | Lindart Center Tirana | Center for Contemporary Art Sarajevo …
Ministry of Culture and Information of the Republic of Serbia | Provincial Secretariat for Culture, Public Information and Relations with Religious Communities | City of Novi Sad City Council for Culture | Academy of Arts Novi Sad | Cultural Center Novi Sad | Museum of Vojvodina Novi Sad | Novi Sad Theater | Museum of Contemporary Art of Vojvodina | Museum of Contemporary Art Belgrade | Zvezda film Novi Sad | SONY Bravia | Neobee.Net | Vojvodjanska banka | French Cultural Center Belgrade | REX Belgrade | Overhaul Belgrade | Center for Contemporary Art Belgrade | Center for Nonprofit Sector Novi Sad | Studio M | Promofest (Madrid) | The House of Films (Madrid) | Foundation “Novi Sad 2021 – European Capital of Culture”| JKP “Gradsko Zelenilo Novi Sad” | Wild Immersion | Adrenalin park Zemlja čuda | JKP “Zoohigijena i Veterina Novi Sad” | Fanatic | Music Harmony music school| Bunker | Tragaonica…
B92 Radio and TV | RTS (satellite program) | RTV Vojvodina | TV Apollo | TV Pannonia | Radio and TV Studio B | 021 Radio | In Radio | Diary Citizen ‘s Gazette | Digital Arts Magazine | Seecult | Art Magazine